Tuesday 12 July 2011

Stony Stratford, here we come

With reference to the forthcoming protest* at Stony Stratford, I just have to say that me and The Boy will be heading down South for the weekend. Train tickets are booked, and now, so is the hotel. I'm coming from Cumbria, it's a fucking loooooooong way.

Anyhow, I had a dilemma about hotels. Nothing close enough really, so anything I would get would require either a taxi or some leg work. I narrowed it down to two, both at a reasonable enough price and wifi too. The first was non-smoking B&B type, but closer to the station; the second was closer to Stony Stratford, but smoking rooms available. Um, the dilemma... I checked out the reviews.

The first looks rather good for simple overnight stays, but is on the wrong side of MK for
Stony Stratford. Average rating of 79%, and no seriously negative reviews.

The other hotel... about a mile from Stony Stratford, and out in the country. Average review 46%.
Oh dear.

And then I read the first review:
We arrived at the hotel at lunchtime and the smell of cigarette smoke filled the reception area which was not too welcoming.
How terrible.
A gentleman gave us our room swipecards and we found our own way to the rooms.
What, not even a Spanish Waiter** to guide you through the maze?
The rooms were very basic, very dated and very warm.
I'm a simple guy, and old-fashioned in many ways. The reviewer left his review
in July 2011
Yup, it's warm. In summer.
The tea & coffee making facilities were minimal.
Jees... the place is like a Travelodge for fucks sake, what you expect?
A positive: the beds were comfortable
Woo! A positive.
We were extremely disappointed with the standard of accommodation for the price that we paid (£89.00 per night for room only) and would not return to the hotel by choice.
Yeah, um, £89 is a lot. Not what I'm paying.
The Indian Restaurant next door was brilliant!!
Woo! Woo!! Another positive. I know where I'm eating Friday night.

From another review:
the hotel reception had ashtrays with a disgusting smell of cig smoke through out the hotel.
Oh yeah! And another, short and sweet, in it's entirety:
Great Service ,very personable but stank of cigarettes
This place sound like heaven. But, my favourite:
The Manager that greeted us on Reception had been smoking, his clothes were dirty he was sniffing rather unpleasantly.
Yes!
The whole of the Reception area stank of smoke and we were unable to have a drink let alone a meal at this Hotel.
Double Yes!! And don't you just know this woman*** is a fanatical anti-smoker?
If I had realised how disgusting this area of the hotel was I would definitely have cancelled my booking.
Oh my, I'm already convinced this place is gonna be like a home-from-home.
After a long day travelling we then had to go back out of the hotel and find somewhere to eat.
There's a fucking "brilliant" Indian Restaurant next door! What's wrong with you?
You would not recommend this place to anyone for health and safety reasons.
You might not, I'm not so sure.
The Management should take this Manager to task with his cleanliness, smoking and attitude.
Can't wait to meet him, have a smoke and a chat. I bet his attitude is fine if he isn't being
treated like a leper.
It would be nice if you could offer me a free night at one of your Hotels to compensate such an awful experience.
I do hope the response to this last was along the lines of Arkell v. Pressdram.......


----------------------------------------
* ok ... well, I was going to write "piss up", but "protest" sounds way more radical and right on.
** At least two reviews I saw make mention of Fawlty Towers. I wonder how often that happens on hotel review pages...
*** the reviewer was called Anne, so I will make the presumption

2 comments:

  1. What a good reveiw. These chancers who complain always seem to want more of the same but for free this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Bucko, internet reviews are suspect at the very least, kinda my point of the post really. I did get a smoking room (woo!), but the wi-fi was shite.

    Chancers.. um... I've worked in hospitality, conmen are one thing (you know, people who claim to find a fly in their soup), but the punters that staff really hate...? The demanding ones who insist on immediate attention, at all times, because they're worth it. Guess which of the two get a free meal and which gets piss in their soup?

    ReplyDelete